Römö Island, Denmark

Off the west coast of Denmark there is a small island called Römö, maybe 5km by 10km.

We have been there in vacation two times so far and this year we will go again, I just recently booked a week in September. The two times that we’ve been there were the most relaxing vacations we had, I would say. Maybe a little bit less the second time when I made a mistake and rented an apartment instead of a house. On the island there are a lot of vacation houses you can rent, small and cute houses for 3-4 persons all the way to big ones for 10 persons. The prices vary accordingly but a house for 2-4 persons will run you roughly between 200-300 Euros per week off-season up to 300-400 during high-season, depending on the house.  Which I would say it’s really not much considering how much you pay in other places.

The good thing is that you have everything you need inside, fully equipped kitchen, living room, etc. Depending on the house you can even have dishwasher, wash machine, dryer, grill, and so on. But the best thing about this place is that you can have peace and quiet. You can really relax. The cottages are most of them isolated and you can spend the whole week without seeing anyone if you so choose. The first cottage we rented there was surrounded by a patch of forest and it just gave me the feeling that I was alone on that island. Some pictures from that vacation:

Yes, that’s a small baby deer which came all the way to our window ;-) You really feel like you’re in the middle of nature. You can also go bike riding or backpacking if that’s your thing. And if you like windsurfing (on water or land) then you are in luck because the island has a huge flat beach, as you can see in the top picture or in the google map at the end of the post (just zoom in to the west side of the island). The beach is almost all of it open to cars so you can do a lot of driving around, too it’s fun not be bound by lanes, sidewalks and so on ;-) Below some pictures from last year:

I would recommend the island as a recreation spot to anyone who wants a week away from everything. I can’t wait to get there again, even though it’s still some time left until Septmber.

Map

7 Responses to “Römö Island, Denmark”

1. Ciprian says:

[:en]Do you have “internets” there?
    [:ro]Ai legatura la internet acolo?

2. Stefan says:

[:ro]Benzinaria de pe insula are un fel de mini cafenea de internet unde iti poti conecta laptop’ul sau poti folosi unul din calculatoarele de acolo. [:en]The gas station on the island has a mini internet cafe inside where you can hook up your laptop, or you can use one of the computers there.

3. Freya says:

@ciprian
    maybe it is nice to get away from the internet too for a few days :) the world can be kind of interesting in various ways.

Actually the mainland, which you have to cross anyway coming and going is interesting too. There are some really cute stores, if you like home interiors you are in heaven. Lots of nice things to look at or buy.
    check this one out for example. They have an all year Christmas market on one floor and the whole building is filled up with handcrafted things and collectibles.
    I could spend a whole week in there :) You find some for everyone, from toys to pretty and useful household things. They even have a section especially for men with stuff which looks important :)

Some more about the island which I think is worth to be mentioned.

Driving on the island kind of gives me the feeling to enter a different time. I always think thats how it might have looked a long time ago in Germany too. The roads are smaller but nice and everything is very clean. Lots of trees and allover very green. Cute little towns or villages and you can drive quite a while before you see any other car usually. It is the perfect place to get away from your everyday running around and never having enough time for anything.

Great for dogs and kids too :) Thats how I found the island. I needed a place to be able to go to with a dog. He used to run up and down the beach and just be happy allover.

And another useful thing. Everybody seems to speak English real good. So no problem getting around if you are not monolingual :)

• Ciprian says:

[:en]I know what you mean. I just wanted to know if Stefan could live one week really away from internet.

4. Stefan says:

[:en]Hey! ;-) Sure I can. No problem. Piece of cake. I am 130% I am not an internet addict. How hard can it be, right ?[:ro]Hey! ;-) Normal ca pot. Nici o problema, e un fleac. Sunt 130% sigur ca nu sunt un internet adict. Cat de greu poate fi ?

5. Freya says:

hmm :) let me think, did I ever see Stefan not going in the internet for one whole week? :)

6. Stefan says:

Pfft, I do that all the time. Oder ?