I managed to finally finish the two books which make the Commonwealth Saga, a prequel to the Void Trilogy I was talking about earlier: Pandora’s Star and Judas Unchained. Really good books too, I am just sorry I haven’t read them before the Void Trilogy books. But it’s ok like this too I guess. Without posting spoilers, some bits and pieces :
- humans got wormhole technology before space flight, many planets were colonized, travel by train between them.
- interplanetary “internet”, called Unisphere. People interact with it via implants, which everyone have.
- advanced genetics, weapons implants, force fields.
- artificial intelligence.
- immortality via a process called “rejuvenation”. Done every 50 years or so, this 18-months process restores the body to an approximate age of 20.
- later on, ships with FTL capabilities are developed, which travel via onboard wormhole generators.
- OCTattoos (Organic Circuitry Tattoos), colorful or metallic tattoos which serve a multitude of purposes from bank transfers to various sensors.
All in all, two highly recommended science fiction books.