Last week I participated in a one-day workshop which took place at the Cisco office in München. The new Cisco vision of the borderless network was introduced and the main focus was on the new Integrated Services Router (ISR) Generation 2.
The whole idea of this vision is that the “borders” in the network will soon disappear and one will be able to connect to the network from anywhere, at any given time, from any device and to any resource. And all this will be done transparently and securely. One will no longer be limited by the device used (be it laptop, desktop, smartphone, etc) nor will he be limited by the type of connection (wired, wireless, mobile, etc). The network will be intelligent enough to adapt and provide a seamless experience.
What interested me the most was the new ISR G2 series, which is a key player in the borderless network concept. There are new versions to all the previous ISR routers and the upgrades are significant. I won’t bother you with too many details, but couple of things stand out:
- 3 new models of the small 800 series, new 1900, 2900 and 3000 series
- all of them run a universal IOS image, IOS 15.0 will be released.
- the image contains all features. The individual features are activated on-demand, as they are needed
- multi-core processors
- crypto engines are already onboard
- field-upgradeable mainboards (Service Performance Engine, SPE)
- Multi Gigabit Fabric (MGF): the individual modules will be internally directly connected at gigabit speeds
There are of course other changes but I think those are the most important.
Otherwise things were nice, the presentation was good, no blue screens or anything. And the canteen over there makes really good food! ;-)